Re: Remaining beta blockers

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Remaining beta blockers
Дата
Re: Remaining beta blockers
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Apr 27, 2013 at 10:59 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> The schedule says we're going to wrap 9.3beta1 on Monday, but it doesn't
> feel to me like we are anywhere near ready to ship a credible beta.
> Of the items on the 9.3 open-items page,
> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_9.3_Open_Items
> there are at least three that seem like absolute drop-dead stop-ship issues:

I completely agree.  I think it's considerably premature to wrap a
beta at this point.  We haven't resolved the issue of what to do about
accidental restores into pg_catalog either; nobody replied to my last
email on that thread.

> 1. The matviews mess.  Changing that will force initdb, more than
> likely, so we need it resolved before beta1.

I would like to rip out the whole notion of whether a materialized
view is scannable and am happy to do that on Monday if you're willing
to sit still for it.  I think that's better than failing to support
unlogged relations, and I'm confident that the decision to put the
scannability flag in pg_class rather than the backing file is dead
wrong.  At the same time, I *also* agree that using the file size as a
flag is untenable.

> 2. The checksum algorithm business.  Again, we don't get to tinker with
> that anymore once we're in beta.

I think it's pretty darn clear that we should change the algorithm,
and I think we've got a patch to do that.  So we should be able to
resolve this relatively quickly.  But +1 for adding a checksum
algorithm ID to pg_control anyway.

> 3. The ProcessUtility restructuring problem.  Surely we're not going to
> ship a beta with persistent buildfarm failures, which even show up
> sometimes on non-CLOBBER_CACHE_ALWAYS animals, eg today at
> http://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=nightjar&dt=2013-04-27%2009%3A27%3A00
>
> As for #3, there's a draft patch, who's going to take responsibility
> for that?

I have been assuming that Alvaro was responsible for fixing this since
he (AIUI) was the one who committed what broke it.  If that's not the
case, I should probably jump in, since I committed some earlier event
trigger patches.  Or Dimitri, as the original author of said patches.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company