Re: refactoring basebackup.c

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: refactoring basebackup.c
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jan 18, 2022 at 9:43 AM Jeevan Ladhe
<jeevan.ladhe@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> The patch surely needs some grooming, but I am expecting some initial
> review, specially in the area where we are trying to close the zstd stream
> in bbsink_zstd_end_archive(). We need to tell the zstd library to end the
> compression by calling ZSTD_compressStream2() thereby sending a
> ZSTD_e_end flag. But, this also needs some input string, which per
> example[1] line # 686, I have taken as an empty ZSTD_inBuffer.

As far as I can see, this is correct. I found
https://zstd.docsforge.com/dev/api-documentation/#streaming-compression-howto
which seems to endorse what you've done here.

One (minor) thing that I notice is that, the way you've written the
loop in bbsink_zstd_end_archive(), I think it will typically call
bbsink_archive_contents() twice. It will flush whatever is already
present in the next sink's buffer as a result of the previous calls to
bbsink_zstd_archive_contents(), and then it will call
ZSTD_compressStream2() which will partially refill the buffer you just
emptied, and then there will be nothing left in the internal buffer,
so it will call bbsink_archive_contents() again. But ... the initial
flush may not have been necessary. It could be that there was enough
space already in the output buffer for the ZSTD_compressStream2() call
to succeed without a prior flush. So maybe:

do
{
    yet_to_flush = ZSTD_compressStream2(..., ZSTD_e_end);
    check ZSTD_isError here;
    if (mysink->zstd_outBuf.pos > 0)
        bbsink_archive_contents();
} while (yet_to_flush > 0);

I believe this might be very slightly more efficient.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com