Re: Optimize referential integrity checks (todo item)

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Optimize referential integrity checks (todo item)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 9:06 PM, Vik Reykja <vikreykja@gmail.com> wrote:
> I decided to take a crack at the todo item created from the following post:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2005-10/msg00458.php
>
> The attached patch makes the desired changes in both code and function
> naming.
>
> It seemed quite easy to do but wasn't marked as easy on the todo, so I'm
> wondering if I've missed something.

It's kind of hard to say whether you've missed something, because you
haven't really explained what problem this is solving; the thread you
linked too isn't very clear about that either.  At first blush, it
seems like you've renamed a bunch of stuff without making very much
change to what actually happens.  Changing lots of copies of "equal"
to "unchanged" doesn't seem to me to be accomplishing anything.

> All regression tests pass.

You should add some new ones showing how this patch improves the
behavior relative to the previous code.  Or if you can't, then you
should provide a complete, self-contained test case that a reviewer
can use to see how your proposed changes improve things.

We're in the middle of a CommitFest right now, so please add this
patch to the next one if you would like it reviewed:

https://commitfest.postgresql.org/action/commitfest_view/open

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company