Re: Eager page freeze criteria clarification

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Eager page freeze criteria clarification
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Dec 21, 2023 at 10:56 AM Melanie Plageman
<melanieplageman@gmail.com> wrote:
> Agreed. I plan to test with another distribution. Though, the exercise
> of determining which ones are useful is probably more challenging.
> I imagine we will have to choose one distribution (as opposed to
> supporting different distributions and choosing based on data access
> patterns for a table). Though, even with a normal distribution, I
> think it should be an improvement.

Our current algorithm isn't adaptive at all, so I like our chances of
coming out ahead. It won't surprise me if somebody finds a case where
there is a regression, but if we handle some common and important
cases correctly (e.g. append-only, update-everything-nonstop) then I
think we're probably ahead even if there are some cases where we do
worse. It does depend on how much worse they are, and how realistic
they are, but we don't want to be too fearful here: we know what we're
doing right now isn't too great.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com