soliciting patches to review

От Robert Haas
Тема soliciting patches to review
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

At 2024.pgconf.dev, Andres and I will be hosting a patch review
workshop.[1] Part of the workshop will be a presentation, and part of
it will be a practicum. That is, we're going to actually ask attendees
to review some patches during the workshop. We'll also comment on
those reviews, and the patches themselves, with our own thoughts.
While we could just pick some things from the CommitFest, I believe we
both felt a little uncomfortable with the idea of potentially turning
a spotlight on someone's patch where they might not have been
expecting it. So, instead, I'd like to invite you to email me, and/or
Andres, if you have a patch that isn't committed yet and which you
think would be a good candidate for review during this workshop. If
your patch is selected to be reviewed during the workshop, then you
will very likely get some reviews for your patch posted on
pgsql-hackers. But, there are no guarantees about how positive or
negative those reviews will be, so you do need to be prepared to take
the bad with the good.

Note that this is really an exercise in helping more people in the
community to get better at reviewing patches. So, if Andres and I
think that what your patch really needs is an opinion from Tom Lane
specifically, or even an opinion from Andres Freund or Robert Haas
specifically, we probably won't choose to include it in the workshop.
But there are lots of patches that just need attention from someone,
at least for starters, and perhaps this workshop can help some of
those patches to make progress, in addition to (hopefully) being
educational for the attendees.

Key points:

1. If you have a patch you think would be a good candidate for this
event, please email me and/or Andres.

2. Please only volunteer a patch that you wrote, not one that somebody
else wrote.

3. Please don't suggest a patch that's already committed.

Thanks,

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com