Re: Support for N synchronous standby servers - take 2

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Support for N synchronous standby servers - take 2
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 5:03 AM, Michael Paquier
<michael.paquier@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Group labels are essential.
>
> OK, so this is leading us to the following points:
> - Use a JSON object to define the quorum/priority groups for the sync state.
> - Store it as a GUC, and use the check hook to validate its format,
> which is what we have now with s_s_names
> - Rely on SIGHUP to maintain an in-memory image of the quorum/priority
> sync state
> - Have the possibility to define group labels in this JSON blob, and
> be able to use those labels in a quorum or priority sync definition.
> - For backward-compatibility, use for example s_s_names = 'json' to
> switch to the new system.

Personally, I think we're going to find that using JSON for this
rather than a custom syntax makes the configuration strings two or
three times as long for no discernable benefit.

But I just work here.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company