Re: documentation structure

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: documentation structure
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Mar 21, 2024 at 7:37 PM Peter Eisentraut <peter@eisentraut.org> wrote:
> On 20.03.24 17:43, Robert Haas wrote:
> > 0001 removes the "Installation from Binaries" chapter. The whole thing
> > is four sentences. I moved the most important information into the
> > "Installation from Source Code" chapter and retitled it
> > "Installation".
>
> But this separation was explicitly added a few years ago, because most
> people just want to read about the binaries.

I really doubt that this is true. I've been installing software on
UNIX-like operating systems for more than 30 years now, and I don't
think there's been a single time when I have ever consulted the
documentation for a software package to find the download location for
that package. When I first started out, everything was ftp rather than
www, so you went to ftp.whatever.{com,org,net,gov,edu} and tried to
download the distribution bundle, and then you untarred it and ran
configure and make. Then you read the README or the documentation or
whatever afterward. These days, I think what people do is either (a)
use their package manager to install PostgreSQL and then come to the
documentation afterward to find out how to use it or (b) do a search
for "PostgreSQL download" and click on whatever comes up. I'm not
saying there's never been a user who made use of this section of the
documentation to find the download location, but surely the normal
thing to do if you come to www.postgresql.org and you want to download
the software is to click "Download" on the nav bar, not
"Documentation," then a specific version, then chapter 16, then the
exact same download link that's already there on the nav bar.

I do agree that it is very questionable whether "Installation from
Source Code" is of sufficient interest to ordinary users to justify
including it in "III. Server Administration." Most people, probably
including many extension developers, are only going to install the
binary packages. But the solution to that isn't to have a
four-sentence chapter telling me about a download location that I
likely found long before I looked at the documentation, and that I can
certainly find very easily without needing the documentation. Rather,
what we should do if we think that installing from source code is of
marginal interest is move it to an appendix. As I said to Alvaro
yesterday, I think that a "Developer Guide" appendix could be a good
place to house a number of things that currently have toplevel
chapters but don't really need them because they're only of interest
to a small minority of users. This might be another thing that could
go there.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com