Re: Contains and is contained by operators of inet datatypes

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Contains and is contained by operators of inet datatypes
Дата
Re: Contains and is contained by operators of inet datatypes
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Nov 21, 2016 at 7:57 AM, Andreas Karlsson <andreas@proxel.se> wrote:
> I like the patch because it means less operators to remember for me as a
> PostgreSQL user. And at least for me inet is a rarely used type compared to
> hstore, json and range types which all use @> and <@.

I agree that it would be nice to make the choice of operator names
more consistent.  I don't know if doing so will please more or fewer
people than it annoys.  I do not like this bit from the original post:

EH> The patch removes the recently committed SP-GiST index support for the
EH> existing operator symbols to give move reason to the users to use the
EH> new symbols.

That seems like the rough equivalent of throwing a wrench into the
datacenter's backup generator to "encourage" them to maintain two
separate and independent backup generators.  If we're going to add the
more-standard operator names as synonyms for the existing operator
names, let's do precisely that and no more.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company