Re: backend hangs at immediate shutdown (Re: Back-branch update releases coming in a couple weeks)

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: backend hangs at immediate shutdown (Re: Back-branch update releases coming in a couple weeks)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 6:00 PM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> MauMau escribió:
>
> Hi,
>
>> I did this.  Please find attached the revised patch.  I modified
>> HandleChildCrash().  I tested the immediate shutdown, and the child
>> cleanup succeeded.
>
> Thanks, committed.
>
> There are two matters pending here:
>
> 1. do we want postmaster to exit immediately after sending the SIGKILL,
> or hang around until all children are gone?
>
> 2. how far do we want to backpatch this, if at all?

Considering that neither Tom nor I was convinced that this was a good
idea AT ALL, I'm surprised you committed it in the first place.  I'd
be more inclined to revert it than back-patch it, but at least if we
only change it in HEAD we have some chance of finding out whether or
not it is in fact a bad idea before it's too late to change our mind.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company