Re: Additional role attributes && superuser review

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Additional role attributes && superuser review
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 11:24 AM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> Stephen Frost wrote:
>> * Petr Jelinek (petr@2ndquadrant.com) wrote:

>> > As others have commented, I too think this should support pg_dump.
>>
>> I'm uttly mystified as to what that *means*.  Everyone asking for it is
>> great but until someone can define what "support pg_dump" means, there's
>> not much progress I can make towards it..
>
> To me, what this repeated discussion on this particular BACKUP point
> says, is that the ability to run pg_start/stop_backend and the xlog
> related functions should be a different privilege, i.e. something other
> than BACKUP; because later we will want the ability to grant someone the
> ability to run pg_dump on the whole database without being superuser,
> and we will want to use the name BACKUP for that.  So I'm inclined to
> propose something more specific for this like WAL_CONTROL or
> XLOG_OPERATOR, say.

I'm a little nervous that we're going to end up with a whole bunch of
things with names like X_control, Y_operator, and Z_admin, which I
think is particularly bad if we end up with a mix of styles and also
bad (though less so) if we end up just tacking the word "operator"
onto the end of everything.

I'd suggest calling these capabilities, and allow:

GRANT CAPABILITY whatever TO somebody;

...but keep extraneous words like "control" or "operator" out of the
capabilities names themselves.  So just wal, xlog, logfile, etc.
rather than wal_operator, xlog_operator, logfile_operator and so on.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company