Re: factorial function/phase out postfix operators?

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: factorial function/phase out postfix operators?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 10:04 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Well, the !! operator itself has been "deprecated" for a long time:
>
> regression=# \do+ !!
>                                              List of operators
>    Schema   | Name | Left arg type | Right arg type | Result type |  Function   |        Description
> ------------+------+---------------+----------------+-------------+-------------+---------------------------
>  pg_catalog | !!   |               | bigint         | numeric     | numeric_fac | deprecated, use ! instead
>  pg_catalog | !!   |               | tsquery        | tsquery     | tsquery_not | NOT tsquery
> (2 rows)
>
> I'm a bit inclined to kill them both off and standardize on factorial()
> (not numeric_fac).

Works for me. !! hasn't been marked as deprecated in the
documentation, only the operator comment, which probably not many
people look at. But I don't see a problem updating the documentation
now to say:

- !! is going away, use factorial()
- ! is going away, use factorial()
- postfix operators are going away