Re: recovering from "found xmin ... from before relfrozenxid ..."

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: recovering from "found xmin ... from before relfrozenxid ..."
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jul 13, 2020 at 8:58 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> The more that I think about it, the more I think that the proposed
> functions are tools for wizards only, and so I'm getting hesitant
> about having them in contrib at all.  We lack a better place to
> put them, but that doesn't mean they should be there.

Also, I want to clarify that in a typical situation in which a
customer is facing this problem, I don't have any access to their
system. I basically never touch customer systems directly. Typically,
the customer sends us log files and a description of the problem and
their goals, and we send them back advice or instructions. So it's
impractical to imagine that this can be something where you have to
know the secret magic wizard password to get access to it. We'd just
have to give the customers who need to use this tool said password,
and then the jig is up - they can redistribute that password to all
the non-wizards on the Internet, if they so choose.

I understand that it's not too great when we give people access to
sharp tools and they hurt themselves with said tools. But this is open
source. That's how it goes.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Сообщение: Re: recovering from "found xmin ... from before relfrozenxid ..."
Сообщение: Re: recovering from "found xmin ... from before relfrozenxid ..."