Re: [HACKERS] Still another race condition in recovery TAP tests

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Still another race condition in recovery TAP tests
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Oct 6, 2017 at 5:57 AM, Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>> Fewer people will test as we grow the list of modules they must first install.
>
> Meh, I don't buy that.

Well, I do.  Prerequisites are a pain, and the more of them there are,
the more pain it is.

> At worst, all we have to do is provide a script
> that fetches them, from distro repos if possible, and failing that
> from CPAN.
>
> With cpanminus, that's pretty darn simple too.

I think the idea that this is going to work for everybody is not very
realistic.  I am not going to run some random script to install stuff
on my system in whatever manner it feels like, because when I do stuff
like that I usually end up regretting it.  If it's a throw-away VM,
sure, but not otherwise.

We don't even have good documentation of what packages you should
install on various packaging systems to build the server, let alone
all of the additional things that may be required depending on build
options and TAP tests you might want to run.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company