Re: Still something fishy in the fastpath lock stuff

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Still something fishy in the fastpath lock stuff
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

isTopLevel=1'\001') at resowner.c:307

isTopLevel=1'\001') at resowner.c:212

> #8  0x00083b7c in CommitTransaction () at xact.c:1998
> #9  0x00083ea4 in CommitTransactionCommand () at xact.c:2713
> #10 0x002ab9b4 in finish_xact_command () at postgres.c:2408
> #11 0x002af2b0 in exec_simple_query (query_string=0x2807e1c "CREATE TABLE t3 (name TEXT, n INTEGER);") at
postgres.c:1076
> #12 0x002b08bc in PostgresMain (argc=41975324, argv=0xbfffdd3c, dbname=0x2800b6c "regression", username=0x51 "") at
postgres.c:4004
> #13 0x0023d5bc in ServerLoop () at postmaster.c:4089
> #14 0x0023f11c in PostmasterMain (argc=6, argv=0x46d9d0) at postmaster.c:1222
> #15 0x001bb89c in main (argc=6, argv=0x2100710) at main.c:203
>
> Since this machine has only been running the buildfarm for a week,
> I rather imagine we will see more of these.  Thoughts?
>
> (This is a PPC machine, but only a single processor, so it's hard
> to see how memory ordering issues might enter into it ...)

Well, it's possible that the issue could be related to compiler
reordering, since it's still the rule that SpinLockAcquire/Release
must be memory barriers but need not be compiler barriers, and
FastPathStrongRelationLocks is not volatile-ized.  I really think we
should change that rule; it leads to ugly code, and bugs.  But to
determine whether that's the issue, we'd probably need to disassemble
the relevant code and see whether the compiler did in fact shift
things around.

But it seems equally possible that the bug is the result of some more
pedestrian error.  I don't have a great idea where to look for such a
mistake, though.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company