Re: Vacuum: allow usage of more than 1GB of work mem

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Vacuum: allow usage of more than 1GB of work mem
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 2:59 PM, Claudio Freire <klaussfreire@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've finished writing that patch, I'm in the process of testing its CPU impact.
>
> First test seemed to hint at a 40% increase in CPU usage, which seems
> rather steep compared to what I expected, so I'm trying to rule out
> some methodology error here.

Hmm, wow.  That's pretty steep.  Maybe lazy_heap_reaptid() is hotter
than I think it is, but even if it accounts for 10% of total CPU usage
within a vacuum, which seems like an awful lot, you'd have to make it
4x as expensive, which also seems like an awful lot.

>> It would require
>> replacing the call to bsearch() in lazy_heap_reaptid() with an
>> open-coded implementation of bsearch, or with one bsearch to find the
>> chunk and another to find the TID within the chunk, but that shouldn't
>> be very expensive.
>
> I did a linear search to find the chunk, with exponentially growing
> chunks, and then a bsearch to find the item inside the chunk.
>
> With the typical number of segments and given the 12GB limit, the
> segment array size is well within the range that favors linear search.

Ah, OK.

>> For example, we could keep a bitmap with one bit per K
>> pages.  If the bit is set, there is at least 1 dead tuple on that
>> page; if clear, there are none.  When we see an index tuple, we
>> consult the bitmap to determine whether we need to search the TID
>> list.  We select K to be the smallest power of 2 such that the bitmap
>> uses less memory than some threshold, perhaps 64kB.
>
> I've been pondering something like that, but that's an optimization
> that's quite orthogonal to the multiarray stuff.

Sure, but if this really does increase CPU time, it'd be reasonable to
do something to decrease it again in order to get the other benefits
of this patch - i.e. increasing the maintenance_work_mem limit while
reducing the chances that overallocation will cause OOM.

>>  Assuming that
>> updates and deletes to the table have some locality, we should be able
>> to skip a large percentage of the TID searches with a probe into this
>> very compact bitmap.
>
> I don't think you can assume locality

Really?  If you have a 1TB table, how many 2MB ranges of that table do
you think will contain dead tuples for a typical vacuum?  I think most
tables of that size are going to be mostly static, and the all-visible
and all-frozen bits are going to be mostly set.  You *could* have
something like a pgbench-type workload that does scattered updates
across the entire table, but that's going to perform pretty poorly
because you'll constantly be updating blocks that have to be pulled in
from disk.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Сообщение: Re: Vacuum: allow usage of more than 1GB of work mem
Сообщение: Re: Vacuum: allow usage of more than 1GB of work mem