Re: Parallel Seq Scan

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Parallel Seq Scan
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 8:27 PM, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> I feel like one of us is misunderstanding the numbers, which is probably
> in part because they're a bit piecemeal over email, but the seqscan
> speed in this case looks pretty close to dd performance for this
> particular test, when things are uncached.  Cached numbers are
> different, but that's not what we're discussing here, I don't think.
>
> Don't get me wrong- I've definitely seen cases where we're CPU bound
> because of complex filters, etc, but that doesn't seem to be the case
> here.

To try to clarify a bit: What we've testing here is a function I wrote
called parallel_count(regclass), which counts all the visible tuples
in a named relation.  That runs as fast as dd, and giving it extra
workers or prefetching or the ability to read the relation with
different I/O patterns never seems to speed anything up very much.

The story with parallel sequential scan itself may well be different,
since that has a lot more CPU overhead than a dumb-simple
tuple-counter.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company