Re: Weird failure with latches in curculio on v15

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Weird failure with latches in curculio on v15
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Feb 9, 2023 at 10:53 PM Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been thinking about this, actually.  I'm wondering if we could provide
> a list of files to the archiving callback (configurable via a variable in
> ArchiveModuleState), and then have the callback return a list of files that
> are archived.  (Or maybe we just put the list of files that need archiving
> in ArchiveModuleState.)  The returned list could include files that were
> sent to the callback previously.  The archive module would be responsible
> for creating background worker(s) (if desired), dispatching files
> to-be-archived to its background worker(s), and gathering the list of
> archived files to return.

Hmm. So in this design, the archiver doesn't really do the archiving
any more, because the interface makes that impossible. It has to use a
separate background worker process for that, full stop.

I don't think that's a good design. It's fine if some people want to
implement it that way, but it shouldn't be forced by the interface.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com