Re: A typo in syncrep.c

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: A typo in syncrep.c
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
<CA+Tgmoakj-Mjmz03bdC69DJvf-DpxrzUVOOVCqOD_pQJ=5RTuw@mail.gmail.com>
>> On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 3:33 AM, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI
>> <horiguchi.kyotaro@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
>> > Hello, I think I found a typo in a comment of syncrep.c.

>> > The 'that' looks duplicate.
>>
>> Agreed.
>>
>> > And it might be better to put a
>> > be-verb before the 'aborted'.

>> No, that's correct the way it is.  What you're proposing wouldn't
>> exactly be wrong, but it's a little less clear and direct.
>
> Hmm. I thought they are equal in meaning and make clearer, but I
> understand they have such difference. Thank you for correcting
> it.

The difference is that if you say "the transaction aborted" you mean
that the transaction did something - specifically, it aborted.  If you
say that "the transaction is aborted" you are talking about the state
in which the transaction ended up, without really saying how it got
that way.  In this case we are talking about whether the client might
think that the transaction did something (aborted), not what the
client might think about the state we ended up in (aborted), so the
current wording seems better to me.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company