Re: 9.5 Release press coverage

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: 9.5 Release press coverage
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 8:33 AM, David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:
> What I didn't think was kosher, and should have mentioned very
> specifically, was sending a press release *to the PostgreSQL -announce
> list* that was in essence a duplicate of the 9.5 PGDG one and then
> included a large blurb about EnterpriseDB.  Had it included, as the
> 2UDA one did, some kind of announcement about EnterpriseDB's own new
> value adds, of which I'm sure there are plenty, it would have been.

I agree with you.  Let me try to clarify what I understand the
intention to be.  EnterpriseDB's marketing staff was intending to
announce the release of PostgreSQL 9.5, not of Advanced Server 9.5.
The latter hasn't been released yet; our releases always happen after
the community releases.  When Advanced Server 9.5 is released, we'll
announce that, too, and our proprietary value-adds will of course be
mentioned.  But the intention of this press release was to promote
PostgreSQL 9.5, which is why it didn't mention any proprietary stuff.
The marketing team felt that a press release from EnterpriseDB would
reach venues that the PostgreSQL community's messaging wouldn't reach,
and so the goal was to make sure that the release *of the community
product* got made known as widely as possible.

Now, obviously, given that goal, sending that to pgsql-announce made
no sense, because the community already had made its own release
announcement in that same forum.  So that was a goof of somebody on
our end to send it there, and a goof on the part of some community
approver to let it through.  Maybe that person thought it was the
Advanced Server announcement on a quick glance, but if you read what
it says that's pretty clearly not the case.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Сообщение: Re: 9.5 Release press coverage
Сообщение: Re: 9.5 Release press coverage