Re: psql: display of object comments

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: psql: display of object comments
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 10:24 PM, Josh Kupershmidt <schmiddy@gmail.com> wrote:
> A few existing backslash commands, such as \dn and maybe \db, don't
> exactly follow this precedent. Not sure if we want to bother adjusting
> the existing commands to be consistent in this regard. Defining
> "typical usage" is pretty wishy-washy, so I'm not real inclined to try
> messing with the existing commands.

Me neither.

>> For foreign data wrappers, foreign servers, and foreign tables, I am
>> wondering if there is any particular rule we should adhere to in terms
>> of where the description shows up in the output column list.  It
>> doesn't seem entirely consistent the way you've done it here, but
>> maybe you've put more thought into it than I have.
>
> Hrm, what wasn't consistent? I intended to just put the "Description"
> column at the end of the outputs for \dew, \des, and \det, which seems
> to be the way other commands handle this. Though now that I double
> check, I notice that the verbose modes of these commands include extra
> columns which come after "Description", and it might be better to
> force "Description" to stay at the end in those cases, the way that
> \dT[+] and \dFt[+] do. Though perhaps you're complaining about
> something different -- \dL isn't forcing "Description" to the end in
> verbose mode.

Oh, I see.  I was right - you have thought about this more than I have.  :-)

I guess my vote is to make the SQL/MED stuff show the description only
in verbose mode, and always at the end; and revise what we did with
\dL to put the description at the end even in verbose mode.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company