Re: disable only nonparallel seq scan.

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: disable only nonparallel seq scan.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Dec 8, 2019 at 1:24 PM Jeff Janes <jeff.janes@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there a way to force a meaningful parallel seq scan, or at least the planning of one, when the planner wants a
non-parallelone?

> Usually I can do things like with with enable_* setting, but if I `set enable_seqscan to off`, it penalizes the
parallelseq scan 8 times harder than it penalizes the non-parallel one, so the plan does not switch.

> If I set `force_parallel_mode TO on` then I do get a parallel plan, but it is a degenerate one which tells me nothing
Iwant to know.

> If I `set parallel_tuple_cost = 0` (or in some cases to a negative number), I can force it switch, but that destroys
thepurpose, which is to see what the "would have been" plan estimates are for the parallel seq scan under the default
settingof the cost parameters.

> I can creep parallel_tuple_cost downward until it switches, and then try to extrapolate back up, but this tedious and
notvery reliable.

I don't think there's a way to force this, but setting both
parallel_setup_cost and parallel_tuple_cost to 0 seems to often be
enough.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

От: Alvaro Herrera
Сообщение: Re: xact_start for walsender & logical decoding not updated
От: Robert Haas
Сообщение: Re: Statistics improvements for time series data