Re: block-level incremental backup

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: block-level incremental backup
Дата
Re: block-level incremental backup  (Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Aug 31, 2019 at 3:41 PM Ibrar Ahmed <ibrar.ahmad@gmail.com> wrote:
> Are we using any tar library in pg_basebackup.c? We already have the capability
> in pg_basebackup to do that.

I think pg_basebackup is using homebrew code to generate tar files,
but I'm reluctant to do that for reading tar files.  For generating a
file, you can always emit the newest and "best" tar format, but for
reading a file, you probably want to be prepared for older or cruftier
variants.  Maybe not -- I'm not super-familiar with the tar on-disk
format.  But I think there must be a reason why tar libraries exist,
and I don't want to write a new one.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company