Re: [HACKERS] increasing the default WAL segment size

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: [HACKERS] increasing the default WAL segment size
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 11:16 AM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On 3 January 2017 at 15:44, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Yeah.  I don't think there's any way to get around the fact that there
>> will be bigger latency spikes in some cases with larger WAL files.
>
> One way would be for the WALwriter to zerofill new files ahead of
> time, thus avoiding the latency spike.

Sure, we could do that.  I think it's an independent improvement,
though: it is beneficial with or without this patch.

>> For example, in a quick test on my laptop,
>> zero-filling a 16 megabyte file using "dd if=/dev/zero of=x bs=8k
>> count=2048" takes about 11 milliseconds, and zero-filling a 64
>> megabyte file with a count of 8192 increases the time to almost 50
>> milliseconds.  That's something, but I wouldn't rate it as concerning.
>
> I would rate that as concerning, especially if we allow much larger sizes.

I don't really understand the concern.  If we allow large sizes but
they are not the default, people can make a throughput-vs-latency
trade-off when chosing a value for their installation.  Those kind of
trade-offs are common and unavoidable.  If we raise the default, then
it's more of a concern, but I'm not sure those numbers are big enough
to worry about.  I'm not sure how to decide which numbers are big
enough to worry about, either.

I guess we need some test results showing what happens with this patch
in the real world before we go further.  I agree that there's a
possible downside to raising the segment size, but my suspicion is
that the results are going to be better, not worse, because of
reducing the number of end-of-segment fsyncs.  There's no point
worrying too much about how we're going to mitigate the negative
impact until we know for sure that there is one.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company