Re: PSQL commands: \quit_if, \quit_unless

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: PSQL commands: \quit_if, \quit_unless
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 4:43 AM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
> I prefer the commands instead symbols - the parsing and processing symbols
> should be more complex than it is now. A psql parser is very simple - and
> any complex syntax enforces lot of code.
>
> \if_not

Given the precedent in pgbench (cf.
878fdcb843e087cc1cdeadc987d6ef55202ddd04), I think it requires an
amazing level of optimism to suppose we won't eventually end up with a
full-blown expression language here.  I would suggest designing one
from the beginning and getting it over with.  Even if you manage to
hold the line and exclude it from whatever gets committed initially,
somebody's going to propose it 2 years from now.  And again 4 years
from now.  And again 2 years after that.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company