Re: Partial aggregates pushdown

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Partial aggregates pushdown
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Nov 22, 2023 at 5:16 AM Fujii.Yuki@df.MitsubishiElectric.co.jp
<Fujii.Yuki@df.mitsubishielectric.co.jp> wrote:
> I did not choose Approach2 because I was not confident that the disadvantage mentioned in 2.(2)(a)
> would be accepted by the PostgreSQL development community.
> If it is accepted, I think Approach 2 is smarter.
> Could you please provide your opinion on which
> approach is preferable after comparing these two approaches?
> If we cannot say anything without comparing the amount of source code, as Mr.Momjian mentioned,
> we need to estimate the amount of source code required to implement Approach2.

I've had the same concern, that approach #2 would draw objections, so
I think you were right to be cautious about it. I don't think it is a
wonderful approach in all ways, but I do think that it is superior to
approach #1. If we add dedicated support to the grammar, it is mostly
a one-time effort, and after that, there should not be much need for
anyone to be concerned about it. If we instead add extra aggregates,
then that generates extra work every time someone writes a patch that
adds a new aggregate to core. I have a difficult time believing that
anyone will prefer an approach that involves an ongoing maintenance
effort of that type over one that doesn't.

One point that seems to me to be of particular importance is that if
we add new aggregates, there is a risk that some future aggregate
might do that incorrectly, so that the main aggregate works, but the
secondary aggregate created for this feature does not work. That seems
like it would be very frustrating for future code authors so I'd like
to avoid the risk as much as we can.

Also, I want to make one other point here about security and
reliability. Right now, there is no way for a user to feed arbitrary
data to a deserialization function. Since serialization and
deserialization functions are only used in the context of parallel
query, we always know that the data fed to the deserialization
function must have come from the serialization function on the same
machine. Nor can users call the deserialization function directly with
arbitrary data of their own choosing, because users cannot call
functions that take or return internal. But with this system, it
becomes possible to feed arbitrary data to a deserialization function.
The user could redefine the function on the remote side so that it
produces arbitrary data of their choosing, and the local
deserialization function will ingest it.

That's potentially quite a significant problem. Consider for example
that numericvar_deserialize() does no validity checking on any of the
weight, sign, or dscale, but not all values for those fields are
legal. Right now that doesn't matter, but if you can feed arbitrary
data to that function, then it is. I don't know exactly what the
consequences are if you can get that function to spit out a NumericVar
with values outside the normal legal range. What can you do then?
Store a bogus numeric on disk? Crash the server? Worst case, some
problem like this could be a security issue allowing for escalation to
superuser; more likely, it would be a crash bug, corrupt your
database, or lead to unexpected and strange error messages.

Unfortunately, I have the unpleasant suspicion that most internal-type
aggregates will be affected by this problem. Consider, for example,
string_agg_deserialize(). Generally, strings are one of the
least-constrained data types, so you might hope that this function
would be OK. But it doesn't look very promising. The first int4 in the
serialized representation is the cursor, which would have to be
bounds-checked, lest someone provide a cursor that falls outside the
bounds of the StringInfo and, maybe, cause a reference to an arbitrary
memory location. Then the rest of the representation is the actual
data, which could be anything. This function is used for both bytea
and for text, and for bytea, letting the payload be anything is OK.
But for text, the supplied data shouldn't contain an embedded zero
byte, or otherwise be invalid in the server encoding. If it were, that
would provide a vector to inject invalidly encoded data into the
database. This feature can't be allowed to do that.

What could be a solution to this class of problems? One option is to
just give up on supporting this feature for internal-type aggregates
for now. That's easy enough to do, and just means we have less
functionality, but it's sad because that's functionality we'd like to
have. Another approach is to add necessary sanity checks to the
relevant deserialization functions, but that seems a little hard to
get right, and it would slow down parallel query cases which are
probably going to be more common than the use of this feature. I think
the slowdown might be significant, too. A third option is to change
those aggregates in some way, like giving them a transition function
that operates on some data type other than internal, but there again
we have to be careful of slowdowns. A final option is to rethink the
infrastructure in some way, like having a way to serialize to
something other than bytea, for which we already have input functions
with adequate checks. For instance, if string_agg_serialize() produced
a record containing an integer column and a text or bytea column, we
could attempt to ingest that record on the other side and presumably
the right things would happen in the case of any invalid data. But I'm
not quite sure what infrastructure would be required to make this kind
of idea work.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com