Re: Making CASE error handling less surprising

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Making CASE error handling less surprising
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 1:18 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> The real bottom line is: if you don't want to do this, how else do
> you want to fix the problem?  I'm no longer willing to deny that
> there is a problem.

That's the wrong question. The right question is whether we're
sufficiently certain that a particular proposal is an improvement over
the status quo to justify changing something. It's better to do
nothing than to do something that makes some cases better and other
cases worse, because then instead of users having a problem with this,
they have a variety of different problems depending on which release
they are running.  IMHO, changing the semantics of something like this
is really scary and should be approached with great caution.

You don't have to deny that something is a problem in order to admit
that you might not have a perfect solution.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company