Re: Partition-wise join for join between (declaratively) partitioned tables

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Partition-wise join for join between (declaratively) partitioned tables
Дата
Re: Partition-wise join for join between (declaratively) partitioned tables
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Nov 4, 2016 at 6:52 AM, Ashutosh Bapat
<ashutosh.bapat@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> Costing PartitionJoinPath needs more thought so that we don't end up
> with bad overall plans. Here's an idea. Partition-wise joins are
> better compared to the unpartitioned ones, because of the smaller
> sizes of partitions. If we think of join as O(MN) operation where M
> and N are sizes of unpartitioned tables being joined, partition-wise
> join computes P joins each with average O(M/P * N/P) order where P is
> the number of partitions, which is still O(MN) with constant factor
> reduced by P times. I think, we need to apply similar logic to
> costing. Let's say cost of a join is J(M, N) = S (M, N) + R (M, N)
> where S and R are setup cost and joining cost (for M, N rows) resp.
> Cost of partition-wise join would be P * J(M/P, N/P) = P * S(M/P, N/P)
> + P * R(M/P, N/P). Each of the join methods will have different S and
> R functions and may not be linear on the number of rows. So,
> PartitionJoinPath costs are obtained from corresponding regular path
> costs subjected to above transformation. This way, we will be
> protected from choosing a PartitionJoinPath when it's not optimal.

I'm not sure that I really understand the stuff with big-O notation
and M, N, and P.  But I think what you are saying is that we could
cost a PartitionJoinPath by costing some of the partitions (it might
be a good idea to choose the biggest ones) and assuming the cost for
the remaining ones will be roughly proportional.  That does seem like
a reasonable strategy to me.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company