Re: [HACKERS] Why does logical replication launcher set application_name?

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Why does logical replication launcher set application_name?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Jun 3, 2017 at 3:33 AM, Kuntal Ghosh <kuntalghosh.2007@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Agreed with this.
>>
>> However, I am not sure about the bgw_name_extra. I think I would have
>> preferred keeping full bgw_name field which would be used where full
>> name is needed and bgw_type where only the worker type is used. The
>> concatenation just doesn't sit well with me, especially if it requires
>> the bgw_name_extra to start with space.
>
> +1.

+1 from me, too.

The problem with the status quo (after Peter's commit) is that there's
now nothing at all to identify the logical replication launcher, apart
from the wait_event field, which is likely to be LogicalLauncherMain
fairly often if you've got the launcher.  I don't personally see why
we can't simply adopt Tom's original proposal of setting the query
string to something like "<logical replication launcher>" which, while
maybe not as elegant as providing some way to override the
backend_type field, would be almost no work and substantially better
for v10 than what we've got now.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company