Re: Parallel Seq Scan

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Parallel Seq Scan
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Apr 7, 2015 at 11:58 PM, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> One disadvantage of retaining parallel-paths could be that it can
> increase the number of combinations planner might need to evaluate
> during planning (in particular during join path evaluation) unless we
> do some special handling to avoid evaluation of such combinations.

Yes, that's true.  But the overhead might not be very much.  In the
common case, many baserels and joinrels will have no parallel paths
because the non-parallel paths is known to be better anyway.  Also, if
parallelism does seem to be winning, we're probably planning a query
that involves accessing a fair amount of data, so a little extra
planner overhead may not be so bad.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company