Re: Mysterious server crashes

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Mysterious server crashes
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 5:37 PM, Žiga Kranjec <ziga@ljudmila.org> wrote:
> Recently we have upgraded our debian system (sid),
> which has since started crashing mysteriously.
> We are still looking into that. It runs on 3ware RAID.
> Postgres package is 8.4.8-2.
>
> The database came back up apparently ok, except
> for indexes. Running reindex produces this error on
> one of the tables:
>
> ERROR:  unexpected chunk number 1 (expected 0) for toast value 17539760 in
> pg_toast_16992
>
> Same with select.
>
> I tried running reindex on toast table didn't help. Running:
>
> select * from pg_toast.pg_toast_16992 where chunk_id = 17539760;
>
> crashed postgres backend (and apparently the whole server).
>
> Is there anything we can/should do to fix the problem, besides
> restoring the whole database from backup?

Well, in theory, an operating system crash shouldn't corrupt your
database.  Maybe you've configured fsync=off, or have some other
problem that is making it not work reliably.  There are some useful
resources here:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Reliable_Writes

At this point, it sounds like things are pretty badly messed up.  A
restore from backup seems like a good idea, but first you might want
to try to track down what else is wrong with this machine (bad memory?
corrupted OS?), else you might find yourself back in the same
situation all over again pretty quickly.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company