Re: Why don't we have a small reserved OID range for patch revisions?

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Why don't we have a small reserved OID range for patch revisions?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 6:40 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> 1. Encourage people to develop new patches using chosen-at-random
> high OIDs, in the 7K-9K range.  They do this already, it'd just
> be encouraged instead of discouraged.
>
> 2. Commit patches as received.
>
> 3. Once each devel cycle, after feature freeze, somebody uses the
> renumbering tool to shove all the new OIDs down to lower numbers,
> freeing the high-OID range for the next devel cycle.  We'd have
> to remember to do that, but it could be added to the RELEASE_CHANGES
> checklist.

Sure, that sounds nice.  It seems like it might be slightly less
convenient for non-committers than what I was proposing, but still
more convenient than what they're doing right now.  And it's also more
convenient for committers, because they're not being asked to manually
fiddle patches at the last moment, something that I at least find
rather error-prone.  It also, and I think this is really good, moves
in the direction of fewer things for both patch authors and patch
committers to worry about doing wrong.  Instead of throwing rocks at
people whose OID assignments are "wrong," we just accept what people
do and adjust it later if it makes sense to do so.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company