Re: storing an explicit nonce

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: storing an explicit nonce
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, May 27, 2021 at 3:22 PM Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> Trying to break it down, the end-goal states look like:
>
> GCM-only: no binary upgrade path due to having to store the tag
> XTS-only: no data integrity option
> GCM+XTS: binary upgrade path for XTS, data integrity with GCM
>
> If we want both a binary upgrade path, and a data integrity option, then
> it seems like the only end state which provides both is GCM+XTS, in
> which case I don't think there's a lot of actual duplication.
>
> Perhaps there's an "XTS + some other data integrity approach" option
> where we could preserve the page format by stuffing information into
> another fork or maybe telling users to hash their data and store that
> hash as another column which would allow us to avoid implementing GCM,
> but I don't see a way to avoid having XTS if we are going to provide a
> binary upgrade path.
>
> Perhaps AES-GCM-SIV would be interesting to consider in general, but
> that still means we need to find space for the tag and that still
> precludes a binary upgrade path.

Anything that decouples features without otherwise losing ground is a
win. If there are things A and B, such that A does encryption and B
does integrity validation, and A and B can be turned on and off
independently of each other, that is better than some
otherwise-comparable C that provides both features.

But I'm going to have to defer to you and Andres and whoever else on
whether that's true for any encryption methods/modes in particular.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com