Re: [HACKERS] pg_upgrade vs extension upgrades

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: [HACKERS] pg_upgrade vs extension upgrades
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 3:48 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>> Well, pg_upgrade creates ./analyze_new_cluster.sh, but that just
>> contains:
>>
>>         "/u/pgsql/bin/vacuumdb" --all --analyze-in-stages
>>
>> Seems like we should just get rid of ./analyze_new_cluster.sh and tell
>> the user to run vacuumdb directly.  I guess I will have to wait for PG
>> 11 to do that though.
>
> Yeah, at this point that probably makes a lot of sense, now that we don't
> need the logic in the script anymore.
>
> FWIW, I'm not sure the feature freeze means we can't *remove* a feature? But
> I'll defer to others on that.

I would view this as unnecessary tinkering that could just as well
wait until v11, although it's such a small change that I am not
prepared to spend much time arguing if you're determined to force it
through.  The point of the feature freeze is to focus effort on the
things that we need to do in order to be able to get a beta and then a
final release out the door, and to get them out the door on time and
with adequate quality.  Whether or not a change which doesn't further
those goals is technically speaking a feature isn't really relevant in
my view.  The point is to mop up the loose ends and ship, and to avoid
things that have a chance of creating new loose ends.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company