Re: PageIsAllVisible()'s trustworthiness in Hot Standby

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: PageIsAllVisible()'s trustworthiness in Hot Standby
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 8:08 AM, Pavan Deolasee <pavan.deolasee@gmail.com> wrote:

> I was looking at the following code in heapam.c:
>
>  261     /*
>  262      * If the all-visible flag indicates that all tuples on the page
> are
>  263      * visible to everyone, we can skip the per-tuple visibility tests.
> But
>  264      * not in hot standby mode. A tuple that's already visible to all
>  265      * transactions in the master might still be invisible to a
> read-only
>  266      * transaction in the standby.
>  267      */
>  268     all_visible = PageIsAllVisible(dp) &&
> !snapshot->takenDuringRecovery;
>
> Isn't the check for !snapshot->takenDuringRecovery redundant now in master
> or whenever since we added crash-safety for VM ? In fact, this comment made
> me think if we are really handling index-only scans correctly or not on the
> Hot Standby. But apparently we are by forcing conflicting transactions to
> abort before redoing VM bit set operation on the standby. The same mechanism
> should protect us against the above case. Now I concede that the entire
> magic around setting and clearing the page level all-visible bit and the VM
> bit and our ability to keep them in sync is something I don't fully
> understand, but I see that every operation that sets the page level
> PD_ALL_VISIBLE flag also sets the VM bit while holding the buffer lock and
> emits a WAL record. So AFAICS  the conflict resolution logic will take care
> of the above too.

I wasn't sure whether that could be safely changed.  There's a subtle
distinction here: the PD_ALL_VISIBLE bit isn't the same as the
visibility map bit.  And, technically, the WAL record only fully
protects the setting of *the visibility map bit* not the
PD_ALL_VISIBLE page-level bit.  The purpose of that WAL logging is to
make sure that the page-level bit is never clear while the
visibility-map bit is set; it does not guarantee that the page-level
bit can never be set without issuing a WAL record.  So, for example,
it's perfectly possible for a crash on the master might leave the
page-level bit set while the VM bit is clear.  Now, if that page
somehow makes its way to the standby - via a base backup or a
full-page image - before the tuples it contains are all-visible
according to the standby's xmin horizon, we've got a problem.  Can
that happen?  It seems unlikely, but can we prove it's not possible?
Perhaps, but I wasn't sure.

Index-only scans are safe, because they're looking at the visibility
map itself, not the page-level bit, but the analysis is a little
murkier for sequential scans.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company