Re: [HACKERS] Partition-wise join for join between (declaratively)partitioned tables

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Partition-wise join for join between (declaratively)partitioned tables
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] Partition-wise join for join between (declaratively)partitioned tables  (Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh.bapat@enterprisedb.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 12:24 AM, Rafia Sabih
<rafia.sabih@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> On testing this patch for TPC-H (for scale factor 20) benchmark I found a
> regression for Q21, on head it was taking some 600 seconds and with this
> patch it is taking 3200 seconds. This comparison is on the same partitioned
> database, one using the partition wise join patch and other is without it.
> The execution time of Q21 on unpartitioned head is some 300 seconds. The
> explain analyse output for each of these cases is attached.

Interesting.

> This suggests that partitioning is not a suitable strategy for this query,
> but then may be partition wise should not be picked for such a case to
> aggravate the performance issue.

In the unpartitioned case, and in the partitioned case on head, the
join order is l1-(nation-supplier)-l2-orders-l3.  In the patched case,
the join order changes to l1-l2-supplier-orders-nation-l3.  If the
planner used the former join order, it wouldn't be able to do a
partition-wise join at all, so it must think that the l1-l2 join gets
much cheaper when done partitionwise, thus justifying a change in the
overall join order to be able to use partion-wise join.  But it
doesn't work out.

I think the problem is that the row count estimates for the child
joins seem to be totally bogus:

->  Hash Semi Join  (cost=309300.53..491665.60 rows=1 width=12)
(actual time=10484.422..15945.851 rows=1523493 loops=3) Hash Cond: (l1.l_orderkey = l2.l_orderkey) Join Filter:
(l2.l_suppkey<> l1.l_suppkey) Rows Removed by Join Filter: 395116

That's clearly wrong.  In the un-partitioned plan, the join to l2
produces about as many rows of output as the number of rows that were
input (998433 vs. 962909); but here, a child join with a million rows
as input is estimated to produce only 1 row of output.  I bet the
problem is that the child-join's row count estimate isn't getting
initialized at all, but then something is clamping it to 1 row instead
of 0.

So this looks like a bug in Ashutosh's patch.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company