Re: PL/pgSQL, RAISE and error context

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: PL/pgSQL, RAISE and error context
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 9:55 AM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 4:56 AM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > I don't see a contradiction. There is clean agreement, so ERROR level
>> > should
>> > to show the context. NOTICE and WARNINGs doesn't need it - and there is
>> > backward compatibility and usability reasons don't do it.
>>
>> Whether notices and warnings need it is a matter of opinion.  I don't
>> think your idea is bad, and it might be a good rule of thumb in many
>> cases, but I slightly prefer Marko's approach of adding a new option.
>
> I am not sure if I understand to you.
>
> please, can you write more about your idea?

Your idea, as I understand it, is that for logs at severity levels
lower than ERROR, we can always emit the context, because it's not
necessary.  But I'm not sure that's right: some people might find that
context helpful.  If, as Marko proposes, we add an explicit option,
then everyone can choose the behavior that is right for them.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Сообщение: Re: Split the 'Server Programming' chapter into two?
Сообщение: Re: Split the 'Server Programming' chapter into two?