Re: Streaming replication and WAL archive interactions

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Streaming replication and WAL archive interactions
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 8:30 PM, Michael Paquier
<michael.paquier@gmail.com> wrote:
> This .partial segment renaming is something that we
> should let the archive_command manage with its internal logic.

This strikes me as equivalent to saying "we don't know how to make
this work right, but maybe our users will know".  That never works
out.  As things stand, we have a situation where the archive_command
examples in our documentation are known to be flawed.  They don't
fsync the file, and they'll write a partial file and then, when rerun,
fail to copy the full file because there's already something there.
Efforts have been made to fix these problems (see the pg_copy thread),
but they haven't been completed yet, nor have we even documented the
issues with the commands recommended by the documentation.  Let's
please not throw anything else on the pile of things we're expecting
users to somehow "get right".

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company