Re: libpq compression (part 3)

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: libpq compression (part 3)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Dec 31, 2023 at 2:32 AM Jacob Burroughs
<jburroughs@instructure.com> wrote:
> I ended up reworking this to use a version of this option in place of
> the `none` hackery, but naming the parameters `compress` and
> `decompress, so to disable compression but allow decompression you
> would specify `libpq_compression=gzip:compress=off`.

I'm still a bit befuddled by this interface.
libpq_compression=gzip:compress=off looks a lot like it's saying "do
it, except don't". I guess that you're using "compress" and
"decompress" to distinguish the two directions - i.e. server to client
and client to server - but of course in both directions the sender
compresses and the receiver decompresses, so I don't find that very
clear.

I wonder if we could use "upstream" and "downstream" to be clearer? Or
some other terminology?

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com