Re: Do we want a xmalloc or similar function in the Backend?

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Do we want a xmalloc or similar function in the Backend?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 10:17 AM, Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> There are 70+ calls of malloc in the backend in the form of
>
> type* foo = malloc(sizeof(...));
> if(!foo)
>   elog(ERROR, "could not allocate memory");
>
> which is a bit annoying to write at times. Would somebody argue against
> introducing a function that does the above named xmalloc() or malloc_or_die()?

I can't even find 70 malloc calls in the entire backend, let alone 70
with that pattern.  Still, I don't think malloc_or_error (not die)
would be a bad idea.

But the error should definitely be written as:
                       ereport(ERROR,                                       (errcode(ERRCODE_OUT_OF_MEMORY),
                           errmsg("out of memory")));

...not elog.

--
Robert Haas