Re: backup manifests

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: backup manifests
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Sep 20, 2019 at 9:46 AM Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> - appendStringInfo et. al. I don't think it would be that hard to move
> this to src/common, but I'm also not sure it really solves the
> problem, because StringInfo has a 1GB limit, and there's no rule at
> all that a backup manifest has got to be less than 1GB.

Hmm.  That's actually going to be a problem on the server side, no
matter what we do on the client side.  We have to send the manifest
after we send everything else, so that we know what we sent. But if we
sent a lot of files, the manifest might be really huge. I had been
thinking that we would generate the manifest on the server and send it
to the client after everything else, but maybe this is an argument for
generating the manifest on the client side and writing it
incrementally. That would require the client to peek at the contents
of every tar file it receives all the time, which it currently doesn't
need to do, but it does peek inside them a little bit, so maybe it's
OK.

Another alternative would be to have the server spill the manifest in
progress to a temp file and then stream it from there to the client.

Thoughts?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company