Re: SET ROLE documentation improvement

От Yurii Rashkovskii
Тема Re: SET ROLE documentation improvement
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Sep 15, 2023 at 1:47 PM Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, Sep 15, 2023 at 11:26:16AM -0700, Yurii Rashkovskii wrote:
> I believe SET ROLE documentation makes a slightly incomplete statement
> about what happens when a superuser uses SET ROLE.
>
> The documentation reading suggests that the superuser would lose all their
> privileges. However, they still retain the ability to use `SET ROLE` again.
>
> The attached patch adds this bit to the documentation.

IMO this is arguably covered by the following note:

   The specified <replaceable class="parameter">role_name</replaceable>
   must be a role that the current session user is a member of.
   (If the session user is a superuser, any role can be selected.)

I agree that this may be considered sufficient coverage, but I believe that giving contextual clarification goes a long way to help people understand. Documentation reading can be challenging.

But I don't see a big issue with clarifying things further as you propose.

I think another issue is that the aforementioned note doesn't mention the
new SET option added in 3d14e17.

How do you think we should word it in that note to make it useful?

--
Y.