BigSQL Download descriptions

От Dave Page
Тема BigSQL Download descriptions
Дата
Список pgsql-www
I had cause to look at the BigSQL downloads again, and realised that
the descriptions on our download pages (and the language on the BigSQL
website) seems to be quite inaccurate and exaggerated:

On https://www.postgresql.org/download/macosx/, I believe there are
the following issues:

- "plus dozens of pre-integrated open source community components.":
If I run BigSQL Manager, I'm offered ten add-ons to download (which
includes a JRE). If I look in the database server installation, I also
see pl/Java, plv8, plProfiler and plDebugger extensions. "Dozens" is
clearly inaccurate.

- "high availability": There is a "failoverd.pl" included with
PostgreSQL, which claims to manage streaming replication. However, the
docs require additional modules to be installed using CPAN, and
pgBouncer (not included anywhere that I can see). I do not believe
that could reasonably be called "pre-integrated".

- "replication": I can't find any non-core replication tools or
extensions in BigSQL Manager or on disk.
There is similar wording on the Windows download page, but I couldn't
verify what is available in BigSQL Manager there, as it simply
wouldn't run on my Windows 7 box. However, failoverd.pl doesn't appear
to be included at all.

On the BigSQL website itself there is also a prominent "Components"
link. To a casual user, it would appear that that page lists what is
available in BigSQL, however, it lists over 20 components I can find
no sign of either in the installation on my Windows or Mac machines,
or in BigSQL Manager.

I do not believe this meets the standard we should expect of packages
listed on our primary download page, and ask that corrections are made
ASAP.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com