Re: pgAdmin in a multi DC self service context

От Dave Page
Тема Re: pgAdmin in a multi DC self service context
Дата
Список pgadmin-support
Hi

On Fri, Mar 29, 2019 at 3:41 AM <heiko.onnebrink@metronom.com> wrote:

We have developed a RESTful self service portal to provision PostgreSQL databases (using docker container) to different datacenter.

New customer can self-register and start provisioning databases instantly.

As part of the offering we plan next to provide pgAdmin in each datacenter in server mode.

Several questions came up:

1.)

How I can programmatically add new users to pgAdmin (.. and not enter them manually inside the web UI) ?

The idea would be that inside our UI the user can request an pgAdmin account and our API would remotely execute inside the pgAdmin container (via docker exec) some command or operation that adds the user id with its initial password.

At the moment, you cannot. Please log a feature request at: https://redmine.postgresql.org/projects/pgadmin4/issues/new

2.)

Is there any plan to add AD integration ?

Well, LDAP certainly, and maybe Kerberos. See https://redmine.postgresql.org/issues/2186

3.)

For availability reason we support different datacenter. In each dc a pgAdmin instance would be running.

Is there any way to sync these pgAdmin instances?

From what I have seen you are using sqlite as persistence backend.

Is it possible to persist the data to some alternative backend, e.g. a shared central PostgreSQL database?

No - and this would only be part of what's needed anyway. There are a number of other things on disk. If you can point the following settings at shared storage available from both locations, I *think* it should work:

    SQLITE_PATH = '/path/to/pgadmin4.db'

    SESSION_DB_PATH = '/path/to/sessions'

    STORAGE_DIR = '/path/to/storage'

In this way the user config and settings that a user enters when he is connected to pgAdmin in dc A would be available when he connects to pgAdmin in dc B,C, etc..

Alternatively is it possible to copy over the pgAdmin sqlite database from dc A to the other dcs every night and restart pgAdmin in the other dcs in order to sync all configs to all other sites (assuming that dc A would be used as “master” site)?

Thanks for your feedback and this great tool

Cheers

Heiko

Geschäftsanschrift/Business address: METRO-nom GmbH, Metro-Straße 12, 40235 Duesseldorf, Germany
Aufsichtsrat/Supervisory Board: Heiko Hutmacher (Vorsitzender/Chairman)
Geschäftsführung/Management Board: Timo Salzsieder (Vorsitzender/CEO), Felix Lindemann (COO), Frank Hammerle (CFO)
Sitz Düsseldorf, Amtsgericht Düsseldorf, HRB 18232/Registered Office Düsseldorf, Commercial Register of the Düsseldorf Local Court, HRB 18232

Betreffend Mails von *@metronom.com
Die in dieser E-Mail enthaltenen Nachrichten und Anhänge sind ausschließlich für den bezeichneten Adressaten bestimmt. Sie können rechtlich geschützte, vertrauliche Informationen enthalten. Falls Sie nicht der bezeichnete Empfänger oder zum Empfang dieser E-Mail nicht berechtigt sind, ist die Verwendung, Vervielfältigung oder Weitergabe der Nachrichten und Anhänge untersagt. Falls Sie diese E-Mail irrtümlich erhalten haben, informieren Sie bitte unverzüglich den Absender und vernichten Sie die E-Mail.

Regarding mails from *@metronom.com
This e-mail message and any attachment are intended exclusively for the named addressee. They may contain confidential information which may also be protected by professional secrecy. Unless you are the named addressee (or authorised to receive for the addressee) you may not copy or use this message or any attachment or disclose the contents to anyone else. If this e-mail was

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company