ftp.postgresql.org vs. ftp-archives.postgresql.org

От Dave Page
Тема ftp.postgresql.org vs. ftp-archives.postgresql.org
Дата
Список pgsql-www
In parallel with the final work on the new website infrastructure,
we've also been preparing a new ftpsite infrastructure. The servers
behind it are live already if you access ftp.postgresql.org, however
on Sunday when we switchover to the new website infrastructure, these
servers will become our primary downloads site eliminating the mirror
selection flags pages that date back 15 years or more(!)

Related to this, the following question has been posed... Many moons
ago, the FTP site was split into 2, ftp.postgresql.org and
ftp-archives.postgresql.org. In the new infrastructure, the ftp site
runs on 3 servers, whilst the ftp-archives are on a single server. It
has been suggested that we merge the two hierarchies back together,
and then run all four servers as ftp.postgresql.org.

Current sizes, in case anyone wants to know:

ftp.postgresql.org: 9.1GB
ftp-archives.postgresql.org: 17GB

Current traffic is much harder to measure meaningfully, as
ftp.postgresql.org currently gets very little traffic as we direct
most of it to third party mirrors. Suffice it to say though, that
ftp-archives gets file downloads in the double-digits most days, so
the load there is trivial.

So, should we merge the trees back together, and get rid of
ftp-archives.postgresql.org? I'm +1, fwiw.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company