Re: [patch] Connect to old servers

От Dave Page
Тема Re: [patch] Connect to old servers
Дата
Список pgadmin-support
Hi

On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 12:35 PM Diego Augusto Molina
<diegoaugustomolina@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, thank you for this great software!
>
> I'm not implying that support for old servers should be added or
> announced, of course. But in my organization we are doomed to keep
> some legacy servers (for now), certainly not something we are proud
> of. When attempting to connect to those servers I get an error stating
> that the configuration parameter "bytea_output" doesn't exist and
> connection is then closed. You can figure how *old* I'm talking about
> now.
>
> So, instead of using the "SET configuration_parameter = value" I
> changed it to "UPDATE pg_settings ..." (which is valid according to
> the docs) to make it silently not set that parameter if it's not found
> in the server. I also have some v11 clusters and can confirm using
> "SHOW bytea_output" that it's still correctly set to "escape". But if
> I access the same cluster from within "psql" program I get "hex".

I've committed this (with a comment saying why) as a convenience for
poor souls like yourself who are stuck with ancient PostgreSQL
releases as it's trivial - however, I need to be clear that we're not
going to go any further towards supporting such releases as it'll be
impossible to maintain.

Thanks, Dave.

--
Dave Page