Re: Minimising windows installer password confusion

От Dave Page
Тема Re: Minimising windows installer password confusion
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 1:49 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

>> I'm not keen on adding additional user accounts - that's a security
>> problem imho. It'll leave the unaware user with multiple accounts on
>> the system, and may cause those that do understand what's going on
>> pain because they'll have to deal with multiple accounts for things
>> like server-side copy.
>
> Oh, I certainly wouldn't do it without *informing* and verifying it
> with the user.

That'll add additional steps for all users, and likely confuse the
novices even more.

>> It also doesn't solve the problem during upgrades, though admittedly
>> that seems to be less common.
>
> Why do you need the account at all during upgrades? Don't you just
> stop the service and replace the binaries?

Because re-running the current installer or running an upgrade should
repair an existing installation as well as doing any upgrades
required.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com