Re: Greenplum 6.x Support

От Dave Page
Тема Re: Greenplum 6.x Support
Дата
Список pgadmin-support
Hi

On Mon, Aug 2, 2021 at 2:44 AM <Harald.Immerheiser@ruv.de> wrote:

Hello pgadmin-hackers

i am working with Greenplum and pgadmin4 is my favorite tool every day since 2018.

Based on the GPDB5 support in Version 2.0 i did some (dirty) patches to get pgadmin4 useable with GPDB4. But that is history, we are on GPDB6 since 2020.

I hoped for an official support for GPDB6 but now i fear that the inofficial support will be dropped by housekeeping.

Please do not drop the gpdb-code.

I feel your pain, however I'm afraid we have been seriously discussing that. The problem is that we have no way to maintain it; even if someone maintains the code, we don't have the ability to run our test suite against it so no way to tell if we've broken anything.

I only need a few patches to work on GPDB6 with pgadmin4.

There are some uncritical Changes in Python-Code and additional SQL for GPDB6 in new directories.

Then there is a dirty patch because it may break something with other server_type than gpdb. This works for me but it is not a general solution.

It would be better to improve the way how sql_template_path ist set in  "pgadmin4/web/pgadmin/browser/server_groups/servers/databases/schemas/tables/utils.py"

and " pgadmin4/web/pgadmin/browser/server_groups/servers/databases/schemas/functions/__init__.py"

and "pgadmin4/web/pgadmin/browser/server_groups/servers/databases/schemas/__init__.py"

Someone who is familiar with this framework will find a better solution.

Without this patch i cannot display dependencies or dependents:

depends/gpdb/#90424#/dependents.sql

and functions:

            ERROR: column "proiswin" does not exist

LINE 5: proiswin, provolatile, proisstrict, prosecdef,

I don't have any particular problem applying these patches as part of the current unofficial support (note that I haven't reviewed them; I'll leave that to Akshay), however I can't guarantee that in a future release all support for GPDB won't be removed for maintainability. We have no specific plans to do so right now though.

I am willing to work on Greenplum issues that may come up in the future. It will be easy if it can be done with a server specific SQL and the modules sql_temlplate_path supports server_type, but i need help if there ist something to do in Python-code.

For as long as the code is there, I'm sure that won't be a problem. Just post any questions you may have on the pgadmin-hackers list.

Thanks!