Re: PATCH: To fix the issue where message panel was showing incomplete info (pgAdmin4)

От Dave Page
Тема Re: PATCH: To fix the issue where message panel was showing incomplete info (pgAdmin4)
Дата
Список pgadmin-hackers

On Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 2:21 PM, Ashesh Vashi <ashesh.vashi@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

On Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 6:47 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:

On Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 2:07 PM, Ashesh Vashi <ashesh.vashi@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

On Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 6:34 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:

On Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 2:01 PM, Ashesh Vashi <ashesh.vashi@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

On Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 6:28 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:

Hi

On Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 8:07 AM, Murtuza Zabuawala
<murtuza.zabuawala@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> PFA patch to fix the issue where message panel was showing incomplete info.
> We may still miss some messages from Psycopg2 driver due to limited size of
> notices queue.
> (RM#1523)

A few thoughts on this (mostly based on my discussions with Ashesh):

1) You seem to have removed the poll delay. I assume that is to try to
avoid missing messages? Can we re-introduce the delay (to avoid
excessive network requests), but collect messages while we're waiting?
Using thread?
Start a thread during the timeout?

Not necessarily. If we want a 2 second polling delay, we could just sleep for 0.5 secs, collect messages, sleep for 0.5 sec, collect messages, <repeat...> return to client.
That's a very huge delay in practical.
We were hardly waiting for during poll (that was in milliseconds), but - still we were loosing a lot of the messages. (a lot more from the current implementation).

What was the original delay? Now there appears to be none at all.
That was 10 milliseconds

Hmm, Ok - for some reason I thought it was much longer. Ignore that point then :-)

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company