Re: same MSI productcode in version 1.22 and 1.22.1

От Dave Page
Тема Re: same MSI productcode in version 1.22 and 1.22.1
Дата
Список pgadmin-support
On Tue, Jun 7, 2016 at 3:16 PM, Osdoba, Sascha <S.Osdoba@gsi.de> wrote:
> Dear all,
>

> is it possible to change MSI productcode also in minor versions next time?

No (not that I'm expecting to ever do another release of pgAdmin 3 now).

> For msi based deployment it’s not good that the same MSI product code is
> used again.
>

> It’s also bad if you have a detection on that product code and you want to
> supersede
>
> earlier version with same one.

It's done for historic reasons - over a decade ago when we started,
upgrading the "correct" way, used to cause all sorts of issues (the
details of which I've long since forgotten). Using the same product
code for updates, then doing upgrades as we do was found to be by far
the most reliable method.

I'm sure things have changed since then, and it might be worth
revisiting if not for the impending release of pgAdmin 4 (which
doesn't use MSI).

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com