Re: new --maintenance-db options

От Dave Page
Тема Re: new --maintenance-db options
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Saturday, June 23, 2012, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
About the new --maintenance-db options:

Why was this option not added to createuser and dropuser?  In the
original discussion[0] they were mentioned, but it apparently never made
it into the code.

I find the name to be unfortunate.  For example, I think of running
vacuum as "maintenance".  So running vacuumdb --maintenance-db=X would
imply that the vacuum maintenance is done on X.  In fact, the whole
point of this option is to find out where the maintenance is to be run,
not to run the maintenance.  Maybe something like --initial-db would be
better?

I'm not saying it's the best name, but I suspect the origin is pgAdmin which has used 'Maintenance DB' for 10+ years. There's likely a certain amount of familiarity with the term amonst pgAdmin users.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company